The case of a Laval woman charged with murdering her two young daughters three years ago will not go to trial until 2013, a Superior Court judge has decided. Adele Sorella, 46, has yet to be evaluated by a psychiatrist in preparation for a trial that is expected to last six to eight weeks, and remains free on bail.
During a hearing Sorella’s lawyer Pierre Poupart informed Justice André Vincent that he could not provide an estimate on when her psychiatric evaluation will be ready. Poupart, the lawyer who represented Guy Turcotte in a trial last year where the doctor was found not criminally responsible of killing his son and daughter, said he expected to be ready for a trial early in 2013.
Sorella was arrested April 1, 2009, after Laval police found the bodies of her two daughters, Sabrina, 8, and Amanda, 9, inside the family’s home in Laval’s Duvernay district.
Vincent said not having an evaluation on-hand complicated setting a trial schedule for this year because the prosecution might seek a second opinion after it is completed. “I can set a trial date today but if I do set aside six to eight weeks it could be for nothing. It could prevent other people from having trials (later this year),” Vincent said.
Sounding impatient, prosecutor Isabelle Briand noted that Sorella, who is out on bail, was arrested three years ago and the Crown has been ready to proceed with a trial since September 2011. She said the prosecution plans to present 25 witnesses in all.
Poupart also succeeded in having one of Sorella’s bail conditions changed to allow her to travel outside of Quebec. Poupart said the change was necessary to allow her to be evaluated by a psychiatrist based in Ontario.
Vincent set April 1, 2013 as the start of Sorella’s trial. This is ridiculous and makes a mockery of justice!