Ordering security gear delays Vincent Li escorted walks?

A news report in Winnipeg is stating that the province “is continuing to implement a security plan for Vincent Li.”
CTV Winnipeg claims that officials have stated “Additional security officers have been hired and trained, but there has been a delay in ordering them security gear, which has delayed allowing Li the escorted walks around Selkirk Mental Health Centre”

Statements attributed to these anonymous officials, are simply preposterous. Even when given consideration that they are alleged to originate from the same bureaucracy headed by the Minister of Justice Andrew Swan. Swan’s office certainly garnered some press with statements that Manitoba would fight allowing Vincent Li escorted walks… and then did nothing. Unless the press report is correct and the Department of Justice chose to delay the walks with juvenile and inexcusable reasoning.

I wonder what the press headlines will be when some lawyer decides to seek recourse from the Manitoba taxpayers for the trampling of Vincent Li basic human rights. “Salt in open wounds as Greyhound Bus Slayer seeks justice”
We are seeking a comment from Minister of Justice Andrew Swan office.

Update:
Administrative Assistant response from Minister of Justice Andrew Swan office:

On behalf of the Honourable Andrew Swan, Minister of Justice and
Attorney General, I would like to acknowledge receipt of your email dated September 23, 2010.

This matter falls under the jurisdiction of the Honourable Teresa Oswald, Minister of Health. I have taken the liberty of referring a copy of your correspondence directly to her office for consideration.

Family of man found NCR question treatment facility.

A schizophrenic man found not criminally responsible for fatally stabbing his stepfather, 59-year-old Michael Madsen, 26 times on Sept. 11, 2008, will remain behind double-locked doors at the Ottawa Royal Mental Health Center following the adjournment of a Ontario Review Board hearing deciding his future.

Jonathan Madsen, 43, had previously attempted to kill his stepfather because he believed, based on the delusions he suffered, that Michael’s death would lift a curse he feared would bring about the end of the world. He was found not criminally responsible for this prior incident.

In her July decision, Superior Court Justice Johanne Lafrance-Cardinal, pointed out that, that before Madsen’s release from the Brockville unit of the Royal Ottawa hospital in early September 2008, he was “able to convince the Ontario Review Board that he was doing well and was taking his prescribed medication. He was obviously not,” Lafrance-Cardinal said. “He made statements to Dr. Chaimowitz that further work needs to be done to get rid of the curse.”

Crown attorney Roberts said Madsen’s mother, Emily, “has a mistrust of the clinical team in Brockville. She’s concerned about their ability to judge Mr. Madsen’s state and that they might recommend he be transferred back into the community,” Roberts said.

Roberts explained the family isn’t worried about Madsen visiting them in Cornwall over the next year, which he was prone to do in the past, but they are concerned about what happens after Madsen’s review a year later, when the restrictions on him could be looser.

The family, Roberts said, would prefer Madsen be taken on by a new clinical team with “a fresh set of eyes” and no experience working with him.

Madsen’s lawyer, Michael Davies, requested an adjournment of Tuesday’s ORB meeting for a few months while he and doctors responsible for his client’s treatment could look into alternative facilities to the Brockville unit of the hospital. “We’re in agreement with detention in a medium security unit, but which one?”

Ottawa Royal Mental Health Centre staff have recommended the Brockville unit of the hospital. In late October, the ORB panel will reconvene.